Friday 27 January 2012

FOR THE LOVE OF A DOG. Today has been one of those days when you laugh your head off at bits of it, then dissolve into tears because someone you hold dear is struggling to cope with life and what it is throwing at them. We all know that once a dog has made it into your heart, and I mean really into your heart, their welfare is the only thing that matters to you. It seems at the moment that more and more animals are being "thrown away" due to circumstances beyond their control. It is estimated that a dog an hour is euthanised because nobody wants it. It's fit , it's healthy, but nobody wants it... And that doesn't take into account the ones that are ill ,neglected, beaten and starved. That is why it seems so hard when a dog has been rehomed at the age of seven to the most wonderful owners you could wish for, to be told that she has cancer and time together will be short. For seven years this dog has dealt with everything people have thrown at it, and then against the odds it is given a fresh start with people who have love with no limits to give, only to have it taken away again. As a dog, I know how lucky I am with the life I have. As a dog I live in today,not yesterday, and not tomorrow. ALL I WANT IS NOW THIS MINUTE. To be warm, fed, in company and to feel the love of my people. If they go out, to be with them, to be in the same room while they watch tv. To know that what ever the weather, they will drag on their coats and shoes and wander down the road with me, just because I need to go out. They are what is important to me, not time it's self, but NOW THIS MINUTE. It must be so hard for you people to understand how we live in the moment, when all us dogs hear is, tomorrow we will.... Yesterday was.... What about now this minute??? Our love for you is unconditional so believe in us. Yesterday can always be improved on, and tomorrow may not come for one of us, so trust us when we say NOW THIS MINUTE is what is important. To you it's what might happen tomorrow, what decisions you might face and you let it infringe on NOW THIS MINUTE. In effect you let it change now and how happy it could be. We know that because you love us, you will be their for us and when the time comes and we tell you we need peace, although it takes all your strength, you will abide by our decision... You will know when the time is right. To every person reading this, go give your dog a cuddle and let it tell you that you mean the world to it. Just look in it's eyes and you will see what I mean. And should you have to make that decision today, tomorrow or the next day, just remember that it is because you loved us that you made it. Young as I am, I would hope that if I was unable to remain with my people, they would be special enough to look for another dog to give a loving home to in remembrance of me..... As they have done in memory of all their previous dogs,both rescue and Bernese. Cool runnings lovely lady........ Gryff

No comments:

Post a Comment